About Me

Geek chick trying to make her way in this world without offending the powers that be so that I can glide under the radar but still do what I wanna do. Get it? Got it? Good.

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Spud is back on track and jumping mental hurdles.....

So the week after my last post... BANG... massive head cold.. sneezing, stuffed up and headache for over a week.  I didn't even want to get out of my pj's much get out of the house and go to the gym... Now I feel like I'm falling behind schedule... *pout*

Tuesday we did an excellent swim class with several swims up and down the lane.. I was out of breath a few times, but it was a great primer exercise to get me feeling closer to normal.

Wednesday I decided that I absolutely had to go back to gym to run.  Back to the routine, back to feeling normal again, back on the treadmill which is most important of all considering the race is just over 4 months away.  A big hurdle in any of my many  fitness endeavors has always been the difficulty in returning to my routine after a break such as Xmas holidays or illness.  All day Tuesday I'm having the mental discussion with myself about "you know you really need to get back to it, time is a wasting" "Oh man, come on, I'm so tired!" "Quit your whining and go to the gym dammit!"  I decided by the end of the work day that I was going for sure.  Then I'm sitting in the car driving towards the gym and I'm still fighting with myself because I feel drained and really just want to veg out..... I mean my damn eyes feel droopy like in a boring lecture at school.... but more mental yelling at myself and I make it to the gym.

As a side note:  When the hell are these New Years Resolution people going to fall off the wagon and leave my gym!!!  Sheesh!  Anyway...I'm in the change room backed into a tiny corner changing.... still debating the wisdom of coming to the gym.  I'm mentally kicking and screaming the whole way.  I manage to score a treadmill without waiting and decide on the spot that I can do level 4 again even though I've been away from it for at least a month.  I pull up my mental britches and dig into the program... I get the first 3 minute run under my belt and I start to feel the cobwebs drift from my mind.  I keep plugging at it and get the first 5 minute run under my belt and I feel the adrenaline start to pump and it holds me through the whole thing except for the last 2 minutes of the last 5 minute run when my lungs and legs pull out of the race... er literally.... so I just walk for the last 7 minutes, but still feel like I've jumped a pretty big hurdle in my mental pattern of failure or resistance to success as some self help gurus would say.

Thursday I've got sore thighs, but all is good, I'm still feeling the running mojo in me and I'm jazzed that I'm back at it again.  Friday I've got plans to pick up a co-worker's donation to my ever growing horde of exercise machines... a Gazelle!  So I run a bunch of errands after work and then I pick up the free Gazelle.  Take it home, have supper and a bit of a break to digest and then I hop onto it while I watch Biggest Loser.  I ran full tilt on it for about 20 mins.  Not sure how many calories it burns or how much "good" it can do in my workout plan, but I gotta say it's really quiet and I think I might try and add it as a morning exercise.  I certainly had jello legs when I was done LOL

On another side note, but still relevant, Alex, myself and John are going to attempt to follow the Weight Watchers momentum plan.  So if you see me post numbers in my blog, it's mainly for Alex and John so that we can stay accountable to each other, sort of a "big brother" or sister is watching in the hopes of shaming myself into staying on track.  My daily points are 33... Tuesday I used up all 33 points :P  Wednesday 33, Thursday 31 and Friday 33.  So good so far :)  Tomorrow friends are coming over, so hopefully I'll be able to keep up the good record.

Sorry for the long post... but it's been awhile... and Alex said that I should blog about the hurdles... yeah, that's it... blame it on Alex hehehehe

1 comment:

  1. hey, hey, no blame!! You should be proud of the hurdles! You did it, even though you didn't want to, and found it rewarding. That's something to be proud of :)
    I'm registered now for Ottawa Race Weekend (5k) and for the 5k run course at Running Room. So I'm on track.
    We can do it! Just gotta keep training, be positive, and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete