About Me

Geek chick trying to make her way in this world without offending the powers that be so that I can glide under the radar but still do what I wanna do. Get it? Got it? Good.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Apparently i'm not the only one that thinks i'm awesome :D

On Wednesday afternoon I had an appointment with the Diabetic Team's Dietitians at my family doctor's office.  I've been seeing this new family doctor for almost two years now.  When I told her I was a type II diabetic (controlled with diet and exercise) she set up an appointment for me to meet with her Diabetes team.  That was about a year ago and when I met with the two ladies (I forget their names) they said that I was on the right track with my learning to run with the Couch to 5km and following Weight Watchers on my own.  They gave me their blessing and a pat on the back and sent me on my way.  This year it was two new ladies, Collette the nurse and Bennett the dietitian invited me in and asked me how things were going.

I told them that my recent appointment with my Endocrinologist was a good one with some really great numbers; 6 blood sugar, 126/70 blood pressure, low cholesterol but same weight as 6 months ago.  I told them I had run 4 races this year (5km distance).  I told them I was still following Weight Watchers and slowly transforming the types of food I ate from pre-packaged 100 calorie snack bags and Smart Ones frozen meals to fruit, veggies and as many home cooked (even if pre-cooked) meals as possible.  I told them I was struggling with bouncing around in the 230's for several months now, and that I thought I needed to increase my exercise and be much more regimented on weekends.

You know what those two nice ladies said to me?


  • Your numbers are really good, keep up the good work.
  • Your exercise regimen is really good, we're impressed... even we don't run races!
  • Your eating plan looks very good during the week, we're glad you're switching to more whole foods.
  • Your weekends need work for sure, but you have to keep in mind that if you sleep really late, that messes with your blood sugar levels and that's why your brain makes you go overboard later on in the day.

*DING*

  • Don't be too strict or hard on yourself because we don't want you to abandon everything.  You are awesome and you are doing great.
  • We want you to keep up the good work and most of all don't forget that an occasional treat when out with friends is OK.  You still need to live.


To which I responded "yeah, but we don't have to celebrate every time we go out to eat ... right?"  They laughed and agreed that it's best to make rewards non-food related, but that when out with friends a few extra calories are OK as long as you laugh a lot :P

I'm happy with my progress so far and like most people I know I'm impatient and want more progress.. NOW NOW NOW :P   So I'm going to accept the fact that I'm doing really great compared to how I used to be a long long time ago, and try not to forget how far I've come.  Maybe put up my worst before picture up on my bathroom mirror of inspiration....

That being said, I still want to strive for better.. so I'm going to work harder on my weekends.  It's not in my nature to be so strict that I totally fall off the wagon so I'm not too worried about working on my deviant weekends.  I have to give credit to Collette and Bennett for reminding me (*DING*) about low blood sugars, It's been so long that my blood sugars have been in the really good ranges that I've forgotten the golden rules of diabetics and that is to eat regularly otherwise you mess up your blood sugars.  Low blood sugars can be just as bad as really high blood sugars.. so thanks ladies... that reminder really drives home the benefits of eating 3 meals and some small snacks every few hours to make sure my whole body is a happy camper.  Now if only we can figure out how to re-wire the brain hahahaha

Today's experiment is going well so far..... stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment